The MX-5 Owners Club is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
The MX-5 Owners Club may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes.
What we collect
We may collect the following information:
- Name and payment details
- Contact information including email address and telephone numbers
- Demographic information such as your age bracket, postcode, preferences and interests
- Other information relevant to customer surveys and/or offers
What we do with the information we gather
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- To process your order and obtain payment;
- To create and manage your membership with us;
- To analyse the demographic of our membership;
- For internal record keeping purposes;
- To fulfil and improve our products and services;
- To provide the appropriate information to race organising clubs (namely British Racing and Sports Car Club, 750 Motor Club and British Automobile Racing Club);
- Subject to your consent, we may periodically send promotional emails about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided
- Subject to your consent, we may from time to time, also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by email, phone, fax or mail. We may use the information to customise the website according to your interests
We will not share personal information with third parties without your permission or unless required to provide our services to you, other than for the limited exceptions listed below:
- If we are required to do so by law or comply with the contractual obligations we are subject to;
- To protect and defend the rights of property of the Club;
- In urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety or vital interests of the members of the Club, or the public.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect, in order to protect it from unauthorised access, accidental loss and/or destruction. We use industry standard 128 bit secure sockets layer (SSL) technology to encrypt sensitive information such as your credit card and other financial information. We do not store your credit card details nor a human readable version of your log-in password. It is important to protect yourself against unauthorised access to your password if you used a shared PC. Make sure you log off and close your browser when you have finished using it.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer's hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Data aggregation, analytics and profile creation
We may analyse your browsing behaviour to draw inferences and create profiles about your personal preferences and behaviours. We may then use such information for the purposes described below;
Behavioural advertising and cross platform targeting
(a) Served by us
Subject to your consent, we may use your information (including profile data) to serve you with advertising, which is relevant to you, on our websites and the websites of third parties.
(b) Served by third parties on our websites
(c) Served by third parties on third party websites
We may provide your personal information (including profile data) to third parties who may then use it in combination with personal information that they have collected from you to serve you with relevant advertising on third party websites.
Controlling your personal information
Under the General Data Protection Regulation you have a number of important rights. In summary, those include rights to:
- fair processing of information and transparency over how we use your use personal information;
- access to your personal information and to certain other supplementary information;
- require us to correct any mistakes in your information which we hold;
- require the erasure of personal information concerning you in certain situations;
- receive the personal information concerning you which you have provided to us, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and have the right to transmit those data to a third party in certain situations;
- object at any time to processing of personal information concerning you for direct marketing;
- object to decisions being taken by automated means which produce legal effects concerning you or similarly significantly affect you;
- object in certain other situations to our continued processing of your personal information; and
- otherwise restrict our processing of your personal information in certain circumstances
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- Whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website, look for the box that you can click to indicate that you consent to the information to be used by anybody for direct marketing purposes
- If you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing, emailing or telephoning us
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the General Data Protection Regulation, which will be provided free of charge. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please write to us at:
MX-5 O C Membership Administration
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to, email or telephone us as soon as possible. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
Please quote your membership number, name and address. We would be grateful if you could also provide details of the information required as this will help us to accurately deliver your requirements. For the protection of all our members, we will take all reasonable steps to confirm your identity before providing you with details of any personal information we may hold about you. We will respond to such requests within one calendar month.